Illustrated History
Before 1925 - At Tower Hill
Although Witton Chapel was a new building it was not a new work. A group of Christians had been meeting together near the centre of the town in Tower Hill. They worshipped together, held a sunday school and women's meeting in a rented, single-storied, brick building, which was about half the size of the main hall at Witton. It is recorded in the church minutes that a service of baptism (presumably by immersion) was held there in April 1924.
Tower Hill
Tower Hill Map
Tower Hill Photo
The site approached from the A38
Tower Hill
Tower Hill is on the left about half way up the High Street.
Tower Hill
Tower Hill
Tower Hill
Tower Hill. The site of the old chapel is the modern wall with the trees behind it.
It is highly likely that the work at Tower Hill was started by Mr. F. R. Tringham when he came to live in Droitwich, for health reasons, in 1912. He was something of a pioneer, having been involved in starting assemblies at Warwick, Crowle, South Yardley and Park Lane (Birmingham). He also helped to start the YMCA in London.
Mr Tringham
Written on the back of the original of this photograph is "Mr Tringham, Preacher, The Gospel Chapel, Tower Hill. 1914 approx."
Mr Tringham ran a soup kitchen at Tower Hill for the salt workers, who went through difficult times. He helped them in other ways too and was a respected figure in the town. His main concern, however, was that sinners should hear the Gospel and it was he who suggested that the chapel have a special Gospel effort in 1928.
advert in local press 1922
In spite of the fact that a plot of land had been purchased for a new chapel, this advertisement appeared in the local press in 1922.
After 1925 most meetings were held at Witton but the Sunday School and Thursday afternoon Women's Meeting continued at the old building. It was agreed that the running costs for Tower Hill were to be kept to no more than £12 pounds a year.
This extract from the account book shows what some of those running costs were.
In 1928 it was decided to close the Tower Hill Chapel.
In the early 1930s the building was re-opened as a labour exchange (job centre). It was later demolished.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10